04 May 2009

Officially done with my Masters...

Well I am officially done with school...or at least for the time being (I'll get to that in a bit)!!! I had graduation on Saturday and it was such a wonderful day. There are two different services for Brite students, the TCU graduation, which is where you receive your diploma, and the Brite hooding service, which is where you receive your academic hood. Because I have sat through more college graduations in the past 2 years than I care to remember, I decided that I would skip out on the graduation and just go to the hooding ceremony. I was so grateful that my family was able to come and share in the wonderful occasion! After my hooding, we went to lunch at Blue Mesa and celebrated!!!

The past month has been extremely hectic for me... which is why I have not blogged in like 3 weeks!! With all of my final papers and exams, and of course the never-ending job search, I haven't had time to breathe, much less blog. On top of all that, I went to Washington D.C. with my mom and Traci McGrath for a conference held by Sojourners, a Christian Social Justice magazine. The meeting was called "The Mobilization to End Poverty"We had such a wonderful trip and I am certain that God was there alongside us, advocating on behalf of those who are in poverty and those who are either without a voice or who are unable to use their voice.

One of the sponsors for the event was Wesley Theological Seminary, which is located in downtown D.C. While we were there, my mom and I had the opportunity to sit and talk with them about the doctoral programs that they offer. While I thought I was done with school for good, these discussions made me realize not only how much I love being in school, but also how wonderful of an opportunity it would be to study at Wesley Theological. Because most of the students who enroll in the doctoral programs also hold full-time jobs, the program is designed so that students from all over the country can be in it. We would go to D.C. for two weeks, twice a year, for two years, doing lots of reading and writing in between, and at the end, would have a Doctor of Ministry in the specialty of our choice. While my mom wants to do something relating to Missiology, I am really interested in Urban Ministry (i.e. working with the poor and other social justice issues). Although I really want to do this now, I need to get a job first and take a couple of years off from school. Also, I told Griffin that I wouldn't go back to school until he goes back to get his MBA first... which hopefully he will be doing in the next year or two. God works in mysterious ways. Right when I thought I was done with school forever, God placed this yearning to go back to school on my heart. I just hope its sooner rather than later!

And that is about all that is going on in my life right now. We have done a few more things on the house... a little decorating here and there and of course the kitchen, which we finally finished a few weeks ago. We also finished the yard, which I must admit looks absolutely marvelous! Hmmm... I think thats about all we have done recently. I will post some updated pictures soon!!

Hope everything is going great for everyone!!
Happy Spring!!!!

4 comments:

Lyndsey said...

i'm so glad you're back! congrats on graduation and getting through finals - that is one thing i do NOT miss about college life!

Lissa Michelle said...

Maggie,
Congrats on graduation! That is so awesome and everyone is so proud of you. God has such an amazing plan for you, and I just can't wait to see it unfold.

Sarah said...

Congrats on graduating! Our churches are in desperate need of women like you!

Lyndsey said...

thanks for the design advice mags!! i definitely like the idea of painting the desk chair a bright color and upholstering the seat with some fun fabric! the room it will in will (probably) be green so maybe i'll paint the chair the same color...or paint it white and upholster it with green fabric...oh, i dunno but i like what's going on in your head! you would make an AMAZING interior designer!