08 April 2009

Way Back Whensdays...a little late.

As I was reading Jenny Simmons' blog today - she is the lead singer of the Christian band Addison Road - I read something that was so beautiful that it deeply touched my heart.

It is a beautiful thing to realize that your roots are real. They may not be perfect or plentiful, they may not be up-to-date or even in the same time zone as you, they may feel like a million years ago... but we live in the golden age of instant communication and because of that reconnecting is easy. And if you are brave enough to take the first step and reconnect with someone from your past, I think you will soon begin to see that you do have roots. That love and friendship and community, no matter how far in the past it existed, has a way of etching into your identity and becoming a part of your soul. Those things do not easily wash away or tear a part. And I am grateful for that.

Our roots are gifts. They are anchors. Even if it is just one root among the weeds. Roots may not know everything about you. Like your husband, your family, your career, or any number of things that may have grown up on your tree and in your branches, but still, they know what is underneath. They are a part of the past that shaped who you are today, and if you look, they might still be there, buried somewhere below the surface.

In the busyness of my everyday life, I know that I all too often forget to tell those closest to me how much I care about them and how deeply they have impacted my life. In the busyness of my everyday life, I also know that I fail to remember all of those people who shaped me and molded me into the person that I am today. I have been blessed with such a wonderful life. I have the most wonderful, encouraging friends, and an amazing family that I cannot even begin to describe, for I know I will not do them justice. Looking back over the past 22 (almost 23!) years of my life, there are certain people who stand out to me as having truly shaped and molded me.

1. My Parents --- from my earliest memory, my parents have been a constant force of encouragement in my life. My mom's love and passion for ministry and for missions have inspired me beyond belief. My dad's strong work ethic and sense of humor have taught me that getting what you want takes hard work and a great sense of humor.

2. My Wonderful Sisters --- I have been truly blessed to have 2 best friends built into my family. I look up to Amanda more than she knows or could ever imagine and the year I spent at home with Mallory before I got married was so special. Although Micah (my 6 year old half-sister) was a surprise no one in our family was expecting, watching her grow up into her own little person has been one of the most enjoyable experiences of my life. It is not all that often that you get to watch your sister grow up right in front of your eyes and actually remember all of it because you are old enough. She is such a precious person and watching her reminds me what it means to love like a child loves, with no reservation.

3. My Childhood Friends --- I cannot start a conversation about childhood friends without first mentioning Kensey Kuykendall, for she has been my friend since we were in diapers. Kensey has been such a constant force in my life and I cannot imagine what my life would have been like if I didn't grow up with her down the street from me. While a lot of people go off to college, make new friends, and stay in touch with only a few people from high school, my friends and I made a conscious decision before we left for college that we would stay friends forever. Allison has been my best friend since 8th grade and I truly cannot imagine my life without her. Through thick and thin, she has always been there and I am confident that she will continue be close to me for years to come. From junior and senior prom, to high school graduation, to going to college, to sorority life, to college graduation, to me getting married, I have been so blessed to share so many big and wonderful memories with her! I cannot talk about friends from Granbury without also mentioning Taylor, Taylor, and Callie, who have all been such wonderful inspirations in my life and who remain close to me to this day.

And there are those friends from my childhood that, although I do not talk to them much, are part of my roots and deserve being mentioned, for they were a huge part of my life. Sissy Whittet, Kindy Preissinger, Katie Reavis, Krystle Johnston, Erin White, Rebecca Crook, Amber Prailey, Shelby Hodges, Christa Hamrick, Christine Reppa, and all of the other wonderful people that I grew up with.

And there are the people from Acton Methodist Church, where I attended from the time I was in the womb until now. I have so many roots with the people that I grew up alongside of there. To this day, I still consider Natalie Davidson (our youth director) to be one of the most influential people in my life, for it was with her guidance that I came to know and love Jesus Christ. Although I considered myself a Christian long before I entered 7th grade, when I old enough to join the wonderful youth group at our church, my love for God and for ministry within the Church was completely transformed.

4. My College Friends --- as many of you know, I chose to go to Baylor because that is where Griffin was going to college. Apprehensive from the get go, I never thought I would find friends that I didn't think were snobby, stuck-up, etc. I think God has a funny sense of humor, because out of my bitterness and apprehension, God blessed me with the most wonderful friends I could have ever asked for. I will begin with my roomates, for it is with them that I spent the most time with. I consider Whitney to be my backbone throughout college. She is level-headed, smart, and one of the most sincere and genuine people I have ever met. She is selfless, always thinking of other people before she thinks of herself. She is encouraging, uplifting, and such a joy to be around. I cannot talk about college without mentioning Ashley, who quite possibly is the funniest person I have ever met in my life. Nothing Ashley says or does surprises me. She is so full of life and she is a constant reminder of what it means to live life to the fullest. I was so blessed to be able to live with Kelli my last year of college. Kelli is so encouraging and is always looking for ways to lift others up.

No discussion of college can be had without mentioning Marie. Friends since Freshman year, I cannot imagine my college experience without her. Almost every wonderfully hilarious memory I have from Baylor includes her. From Chi-O functions to studying abroad in Austria to Spring Break trips to Florida and California, Marie has always been there.

If there were pictures next to every word in the dictionary, then Fromm's face would most definitely be next to the word optimistic. She is the most encouraging, optimistic person I have ever met. Any time I am unsure about something that is going on in my life, I can always count on Fromm to be there to encourage me and give me hope.

And there are all of the other wonderful girls from Baylor... Ashley Sullivan, who I was blessed to spend 5 weeks in Costa Rica with, and Violet and Kathleen and all of the wonderful girls in Chi Omega that I grew to know, love, and appreciate during my time at Baylor.

5. And then there is of course Griffin, who I cannot imagine my life without. While many people wait their whole lives to meet their soul mate, I feel so fortunate that I was able to meet mine at such a young age. I won't go on and on about all of the reasons why I love him...but he is wonderful and the life we share is so perfect!

Well those are my roots... there are a hundred more individuals who have touched my life and who are part of me, but I do not have the time, nor the space to list them all...extended family members, other friends from high school and college, and church-members who watched me grow up. So for those mentioned and for those unmentioned, thank you for being a constant force of encouragement and for filling my life with love, joy, and happiness.

As Jenny Simmons stated so eloquently...
Love and friendship and community, no matter how far in the past it existed, has a way of etching into your identity and becoming a part of your soul. Those things do not easily wash away or tear a part. And I am grateful for that.

Until next time,
Maggie

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Glad you like my sister's blog! LOVE reading yours! Your home is BEAUTIFUL!!!

~Sarah

Lissa Michelle said...

I LOOOOOOOOVE this. You are so beautiful in so many ways. I am with you on so many of these points...you know how much I love your sisters and how both of them have made me a better person. I am even with you on Natalie...I feel the exact same way.

Thanks for sharing. I love the song lyrics, too. You made me cry!