17 January 2010

Intentionality

Since college, I have realized that having/maintaining genuine and meaningful friendships takes a lot of hard work and planning. It isn't the people that make it difficult... it is making time in the craziness that we call life that is troublesome for me. Life goes by so quickly that, before you know it, it has been a month since you have seen one of your best friends. During our first year of marriage, Griffin and I both let our crazy schedules get in the way of spending quality time with our friends. While I talk to all of them at least once a week, spending time face to face, mano y mano, is sooo important. Every once in a while you just need girl time. I have been blessed with soooo many amazing girlfriends, both from Granbury and from Baylor, and I am determined to start seeing them at least once a month if not more, regardless of where they live.

Last month I spent the weekend in Madisonville with Whitney and Ashley, my two roommates from college, just hanging out together. I think we only got out of the house twice the whole weekend but it was the most relaxing weekend I have had in a long time. Friday night I went shopping and to dinner with Taylor and Taylor, two of my best friends from high school. Although I talk to them almost every day, spending time with the two of them and reminiscing about the old days was so much fun. Saturday we went out to our friend Steven's ranch in Walnut Springs with a few other friends from high school. Tonight Griffin and I went to dinner with Marie (my best friend from college) and Pat (one of Griffin's fraternity brothers) and had such a great time. It took a weekend full of friends for me to put things into perspective. Maintaining meaningful relationships with those we love is one of the most difficult things to do but it is the most important right? I mean, in the end, aren't our relationships (with God, family, friends) all we have? In the midst of our crazy lives, staying close to those we love requires intentionality. It is my hope that I can learn to be more intentional.

with love,
Maggie

1 comment:

Lissa Michelle said...

I was listening to a sermon on the radio tonight that was talking about the importance of fellowship with other believers, outside our marraige and families. We weren't meant to go at this alone, and one mistake Christians make is trying ot juggle everything in their crazy busy lifestyles, but leaving brother & sisterhood of Christ on the backburner. "Intentional" is the perfect word for it...it has to be just like everything else- something we set aside time for.