after discussing a few different options, we decided that we wanted to attempt a board and batten treatment on the walls. although neither of us had ever done anything like it before, we thought what the heck, how hard could it be? although it wasn't too terribly difficult, it was extremely time consuming. every board had to be cut to size, nailed to the wall, and caulked up and down each side. we then added a trim piece to give it a little bit more detail. we painted the wall above the board and batten with leftover blue paint from our old house, and painted the ceiling dusty trail by olympic, which was leftover from the nursery. we painted the trim in the room the same white color that we out on the walls. after painting, we pulled the carpet and tack-strip up and attempted to clean up the wood as best we could. we eventually want to have all of the wood in the house refinished, but it definitely will be something we do down the road because of the expense. we replaced the ceiling fan with the same one that we put in the other two bedrooms and in the living room. we decided it was worth the extra expense and because my hubby is such a handy man, we didn't have to pay for an electrician. so without further adieu, here are a few pictures of the DIY process...
{the befores}
{the durings}
{and the afters}
source list:
headboard = DIY in 2008, courtesy of my wonderful husband
blue toile bedding = pottery barn powder blue matine toile
red seasonal bedding = lands end
papasan chair = pier one
rug = walmart
white dresser = my dresser from childhood
brown dresser = griffin's grandma's
brown lamps = home goods
vintage maps = $5.00 finds at a garage sale
botanical prints = marshalls
curtains = 4 painter's dropclothes from lowes
like i mentioned earlier, we still have a few things to do, like paint the closet and bathroom doors white refinish the hardwoods, and purchase a burlap tablecloth for the other bedside table. i also want to find some new euro shams for the bed that have a bit more stiffness to them. for some reason, the way the fringe on the current pillows flops over drives me crazy. we also have a project coming up on our list that involves the white bedroom dresser and some paint... although we have to finish our kitchen remodel first, ha!
so what do you guys think? have you attempted any wall treatments such as board and batten or beadboard? what was your experience like? do tell.
happy tuesday.
love,
maggie
13 comments:
ok it basically looks like it's straight out of a fairy tale! i LOVE it! you must feel like a queen going to bed in there every night. can you come just re-do my entire house please?!
Looks amazing!! Great jobs!!
The floors look great and I love your bedding!!
Looks awesome! I love how you used two patterns on the bed and mixed the red and blue. I would've never thought of that!
Amazing. I love it! I was going to say I liked the doors black and would never have thought of that...but then you said you are goig to paint them.
Well I bet it will look even better when you are done!
I love it, Maggie! Your entire house is just gorgeous. I love all the stuff that you guys have done. I'm totally bad at stuff like this (even though I'd really *like* to be good at it, haha), and I'm totally amazed at how you transform things! I also really love your dresser. (:
I love it so far Maggie!!! You are ridiculously amazing at DIY and design! Can't wait to see it when it's all done looking even better - if that's possible!
wow!! what an incredible job you guys did! i am super impressed...you bedroom looks great and so peaceful. maggie you and griffin make a great team in DIYs :)
Your bedroom looks so great! I LOVE the headboard, and I cannot get enough of the dropcloth curtains. What an awesome idea!
I think it all looks so great. You guys did a fantastic job. The transformation is amazing and you've created a really peaceful space :) Love the matine bedding. I've been drooling over that for a long time.
Gorgeous! Beautiful job!
I LOVE everything about it! It's just beautiful!
This looks like a bed and breakfast! I love how the curtains flow...
Take care,
Lisa
Maggie-- How did you make the headboard?! Please share!!
Post a Comment