08 August 2010

House Tour: Dining Room Reveal

so here is the much anticipated dining room reveal. i know i promised this post many times over the last few weeks, but i never actually posted. so here it is. this room was definitely the most challenging room of the house and where we took on the most projects. our goal was to create a light and airy space that was welcoming and inviting to people. our ceilings are pretty low so we wanted to make them feel taller by keeping the room relatively neutral. we installed beadboard 60 inches high and put up wallpaper with some guidance from my wonderful mother-in-law. griffin's pretty sure that he can hang wallpaper for a living now.

and now for the lighting...because i am really digging the industrial farmhouse look, we installed two industrial style sconces on the wall. we also made a diy chandelier like this one from west elm, but only for $10 by using an old lampshade and a lamp kit from lowes.

the buffet table was another diy project we took on. when we purchased it, it looked like this.


we had intended on painting it white, but when we decided to put up white beadboard i decided that would be too boring white. when we went to look at paint colors, i saw a can in the oops section that matched our sofa exactly. as soon as i saw that pretty coral color i knew we had to get it. i love the way it turned out :) 

i made some shelves for the wall by getting three pieces of pine wood from lowes at $10 a pop and some wood stain. i found the metal brackets at hobby lobby for 50% off, and paid $2.50 a piece for them. quite the savings compared to the ones at lowes. all of the accessories on the shelves i already had. also, we did painter's dropclothes for the window treatments again. shocking i know. to see more about using painters dropclothes for window treatments, take a look here.

so without further adieu, here is the before...


and here are the afters...

























and that about sums up our dining room transformation.
hope you enjoyed it :)
love,
maggie

15 comments:

Rachel and John said...

It is so lovely! I love that you went up higher with the panelling, and I love your shelves and everything on them! Great job!!

Lissa Michelle said...

love it! so beautiful! i'm about to do some chalkboard painting myself tonight...making a chalkboard for my classroom, but i was at someone's house last week who had a huge chalkboard in her dining room and i thought i was just adorable! she just used that chalkboard paint, too, and now her kiddos can write/play on it or display the menu. very, very cute idea.

readyheart said...

It's absolutely beautiful! You always have the most inspiring ideas! It was great seeing you last night. We need to do that more often!

Leigh Anne said...

looks so pretty! love the buffet and the color yall chose for it! beautiful wall paper choice as well! cant wait to see the nursery :)

Anonymous said...

Again- gorgeous! Great job, fantastic vision - I love every detail! We just moved this weekend...let the emailing you for ideas commence :)

Anonymous said...

Ms. Maggie, you seriously need your own HGTV show! I love seeing your room transformations and hearing the awesome deals you find. Keep up the good work!
~Leah Sloan Dimmitt

Lyndsey said...

Thank you for feeding my beadboard addiction! It looks great!

the walton five said...

thank you all for the sweet comments. it really was such a long process but we are excited about the way it turned out.

and lyndsey, you've got to do some beadboard. you've been talking about your obsession with it forever. maybe in a nursery?!?

The Wifeyness said...

Oh.my.GOODNESS. This is simply stunning!!!! I LOVE your taste! I'm crushing hard on farmhouse style right now! LOVE what you did! LOVE!!

Elaine said...

I found your blog from the post on Young House Love. I love the buffet. Where did you get it?

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

I love your open shelves and the light fixture. Just lovely.

Becky said...

I am your newest follower from YHL! Great job everything looks so pulled together! (a talent that I lack so I really admire it when I see it) Can you give me more info on the hardware and the drop cloths from the windows? Great job I love all of your ideas, color choices and everything!

The Gallup Family said...

I love your dining room. It is beautiful!

Brittany said...

love the beadboard, i want to do that so bad!

Lisa said...

I love your dining room! You did a great job on the buffet.