20 July 2010

a hallway addition

well i added a little bit more to our hallway today. as i mentioned yesterday, i copied younghouselove's key project , displaying keys from the three places griffin and i have lived since getting married in 2008. i knew i wanted to add something to it, but wasn't exactly sure what. griffin had the idea of putting up pictures of the homes that we have owned together. he remembered from a trip to one of his college friend's hometown that his friend's parents displayed an image of all of the houses they had ever owned. he said it was really cool because it showed how their houses had changed over the years, usually getting bigger the older they got. not that showing how much nicer your houses become is important, but he thought it was cool because it showed the hard work and sacrifice that it took for them to move into bigger/nicer houses as their family expanded. 

anywhoo... i loved the idea and mentioned on here yesterday that i wanted to find a cool way to make our pictures look old. well thanks to emily and the japanese website she sent me to (yes it was in japanese --- i just pushed random buttons hoping it would work), the image of our first house and the house we live in now look like they came out of one of my grandparent's photo albums. although they just look like black and white photos in these pictures, in person they look much more gentrified. i went to tj max after a trip to lowes for dining room stuff and lucky me, they still had the brown frames that the wedding photos in the hallway are in. i snagged two at $6 a piece and did a little rigging with the mattes to make them work. i love the way they turned out. 








so what do you guys think? isn't this a cool way to display your family roots?!?

i have some other plans for this hallway including our wedding save the date, invitation, and program. i might get this done before we leave for vacation on friday but i'm not making any promises. i'm going to lunch and shopping with my bestie taylor tomorrow so i might not have time. 

happy tuesday :) 

love, 
maggie 

4 comments:

Emily Powell said...

YAY! I'm so glad the site worked for you. I want to steal this idea but I don't have a key to our apartment nor do I really want a picture of our apartment :/ I'll just have to wait until we buy our second house I guess. I've wanted to do the wedding memory wall too I just haven't gotten around to it.

Kristin said...

I LOVE this idea!!! Going to copy it somewhere in our house...just not sure where to do it yet. Fabulous idea - thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

t's such a tickety-boo site. cool, very interesting!!!

-------

[url=http://oponymozgowe.pl]Opony Mozgowe[/url]
[url=http://pozycjonowanie.lagata.pl]Pozycjonowanie[/url]

[url=http://otwieracz.pl/zdrowie,i,uroda/opony,s,6845/]opony[/url]

Natalie said...

This is such a great idea. Lately I have been really trying to make my home more meaningful and show our passion through decorating. I think anything that shows your family history is super warm and inviting to family and friends. Really love the idea!